in 1949, the Gordon Trophy is the second oldest
International Tennis Competition, bested only by the
Davis Cup. It was started by three men:
Harry S. Spencer of Montreal, W. Dickson Cunningham of
New York, and G. Blair Gordon of Montreal, who donated
the magnificent trophy bearing his name.
Established after World War II, the Gordon Trophy has
been played annually. It is a team competition
between the United States and Canada and features the
highest caliber of tennis for players 45 and older.
Originally only four
singles and four doubles matches were played. It
has now expanded to over twenty-five players on each
team due to the honor and privilege players feel in
representing their country in senior tennis competition.
The Gordon Trophy’s long history has been held at some
of the finest Clubs as the competition has alternated
between the United States and Canada.
Some of the venues have included The Seigniory Club
(1949), Boston Country Club (1950), Brookline Country
Club, Lake Placid Club,
Toronto Cricket, Skating & Curling Club, The Donalda
Club, Vancouver Tennis Club, Seattle Club, White Oaks
Club, Portland Racquet Club, The London Hunt and Country
Club, Jericho Tennis Club, the Cleveland Skating Club, the Granite
Club, and the Cleveland Racquet Club.